Welcome to Newman!
Let us be the first to invite you and your family to our community. Newman is the place where you can grow in your Catholic faith while a student at Rochester.
Committed to engaging faith and reason through a relationship with Christ and the Church, students enjoy a hospitable and engaging environment to grow spiritually while enjoying social events, deep and lasting friendships, retreats, dinners, and, of course, Mass (to name a few!).
We hope to be able to meet you at one of our events and personally welcome you to Newman! Our pastoral staff is always ready to assist you at any time, especially during the crazy times we now live. Never hesitate to contact us.
Welcome to the NEWMAN EXPERIENCE!
Peace and all good!
Welcome to the Catholic Newman Community and to the University of Rochester! Your next four years at Rochester are sure to be enriching both academically and socially, and we pray, spiritually as well. Our alumni would like to welcome you, too, with a few words of wisdom about their time here:
- "I was a part of the Newman Center during my time in Rochester—it kept me grounded during the hectic times as a student and also helped me grow in my faith." ~Christopher Bonino ’02, ’03 (MS)
- "You know, going to college so far away from home in Texas, it was a little daunting to find a support system. But I found it in Fr. Cool and . . . that lasted through my Take 5, through law school, through running a business, and being in my early thirties." ~ J. J. González ’11
- "For me, Newman was truly a ‘home away from home.’ It allowed me to strengthen my faith, deepen my relationship with my sister, and . . . create those lifelong, lasting memories and friends that I still have today." ~Valeria Lopez-Aldaco ’14
- "Whether it was through InstaMass or Newman Nites or Mass on Sundays with the beautiful music the choir put on, Kairos Retreats, or just hanging out with Fr. Cool, Newman became an integral part of my college experience and . . . many of my fondest memories revolve around Newman." ~Andrew Scala ’11
- "While the University helped shape my mind with academics, Newman helped sculpt my heart by providing meaningful experiences to build friendships with my peers and with God." ~Katelyn Seliskar ’11, ’12W (MS)
Be sure to check out this website for more information about Newman's Staff, programs, events, and the worship schedule. Also, be sure to check out our various social media links above.
Finally, please feel free to contact us anytime with any questions and/or concerns. We are here to help you succeed at this prestigious university by offering you interesting and exciting ways to explore your faith! Our contact information can be found here.
God Bless and we hope to see you soon!
We are so excited to welcome your student and you to one of the most prestigious universities in America—a place where minds are challenged and hearts blossom through fellowship, service, and Catholic faith opportunities!
Proudly, the U of R is also home to one of the finest Catholic ministry sites on any college campus. Located in the Interfaith Chapel, on the River Campus, we provide full-time Catholic ministry for the sacramental, spiritual, intellectual, social, and emotional formation of every Rochester student. As a stand-alone entity which receives nearly 85% of its support from alumni, parents, and friends, we aim to serve the highest ideals of Catholicism, and to spread Christ’s Good News across this great University and to its students.
- Catholics are the largest single denomination at Rochester (~30% or approximately 2,000 students)
- Over 200 students attend one of two Sunday Masses regularly
- Newman has won 3 national awards for student programing
- Over 75 student leaders plan and facilitate nearly 100 programs
- Newman and the University are in the exciting process to build a much-needed Catholic Chapel and Newman Center to house our growing and dynamic ministry
Our staff is fully committed to providing pastoral care for any Rochester student, day or night. We believe they are why we are here and know the importance of having family close by! Please never hesitate to contact us for any need.
- Rev. Brian Cool, [email protected]
- Andrew Cirillo, [email protected]
- Breanna Dauphinee, [email protected]
- Sr. Leandra Kosmoski, ssj, [email protected]
Visit this website to learn about ALL we offer, including the Student Offering Support Ministry Program and the exciting building project. Always feel free to contact any of us via the above emails or call/text +1 (585) 730-3019 if we can be of ANY assistance. With over 30 years of experience at Rochester and almost 80 combined years in ministry, we can surely help! Please consider us an extension of your family and a ‘home away from home’ for your Rochester student.
We look forward to meeting you during Orientation Week (scroll above for more information) or at our special Parent Zoom session scheduled for Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 7:30 PM on Zoom. God bless and know that your student is embarking on an amazing journey, one where faith and reason grow together and where the Catholic Newman Community is here to assist and lend a helping hand.
P.S. Don’t forget to follow us on social media. The links can be found at the above.